Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Birthday Beyond

Today, August 25, is my granddad's birthday.  He would be 84. Although he is no longer here with us, it is still a celebrated day in our house usually by way of something yummy such as chocolate or lemon meringue pie; two of his favorites.

Granddad had a long and interesting life made even more so by the fact that his life began as an orphan in Colorado during the beginning of the Great Depression.  Throughout his life he served in the Army during the beginning of WWII, worked on a fishing boat in the Great Lakes and logged and raised pigs in Northwest Montana.  He enjoyed many outdoor activities as well including skiing, swimming, gardening and, of course, fishing.

Please enjoy some photos of my granddad John that always make me smile as well as a poem I wrote for him for his 80th birthday party; the last one he shared with us.







This was him when he was 32;
just a year younger than I am now.














This is a picture of Granddad and
my mom Joetta on her graduation day.






 



Here he is on my mom's Welch pony.  I'd like to tell you the horse's name but unfortunately it was very politically incorrect.











This is a picture of my Granddad,
Grandma Betty and her parents Joe and Lena.




 







Opening Christmas presents!



 







 




 Salmon snagging in Montana

          
             



             Four generations

Dear Granddad, I would like to say
how much you mean to me,
You took me fishing and bike riding
and helped me climb up trees.

You've taught me so much in my life
like gardening and such,
I wanted you to know
that I love you very much.

So happy birthday from us all
who've learned so much from you,
We hope that you have many more and
that your wishes all come true.

     I'd like to say just one more thing
      like 'holy cow' and 'oh good gravy',
   It's all so unbelievable
   that you are turning 80!

Happy Birthday, Granddad!  We miss you.

3 comments:

  1. I love all these old pictures. Happy Birthday Granddad John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post...so neat that you have all those old pictures of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome Johna. Very nice! Makes a person slow down and reflect on what's really important. P.S. your blog looks great love the rustic Montana Feel. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete