Thursday, September 1, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

Here is a little treat for all you kiddies out there: Me...cooking.  I know, I know, it's hard to believe but every now and then when the mood strikes I can be rather convincing as a home chef.  Like, say, when I make tacos or tuna noodle casserole or brownies.  But today I decided to go "off-roading" and make pork chops and scalloped potatoes.  Pork chops are my culinary nemesis.  The few times I have made them they turned out tough, soggy and not at all pleasing; I have never made scalloped potatoes.  So today, on this the first day of September, I decided to roll up my sleeves and dive in :)

First, let me introduce you to my cookbook.



The Better Homes and Gardens Complete Step-By-Step Cook Book.  This cookbook belonged to my maternal grandmother, Betty, and was published in 1978 (the year I was born incidentally).  Although it looks a little, well, dated it's a great cook book for those of us who need a little hand-holding during our culinary adventures. 

And by step-by-step, it means this:
Actual step-by-step pictures and instructions.  It's fabulous!

Now, I will say that there are a few things in here that I wouldn't do (fruit cake?) but I love that most of the recipes are made from "normal" ingredients easily found, even in my pantry.  See recipe at the end.

So after reading through the recipe, I preheated my oven and gathered my ingredients.


                                                                    
 Step One and Two: Peel and slice potatoes.


Step Three: Grease a 2-quart casserole dish, place in 1/2 the potatoes and add onion
(I don't like chunks of onion so I used onion granuals).


Step Four: Sprinkle potatoes with flour,                        Step Five: Pour milk evenly over potatoes.
salt, pepper mixture. Continue layering.                        Step Six: Cover dish and bake for 1 1/4 hours.
                                                                             Remove cover and bake another 15-30 minutes.

 
Step Seven: Check doneness with a fork inserted into potatoes and VOILA!!


They turned out great!  I got two thumbs up and they went great with my
*successful* pork loin chops and fruit salad :)  YUMMY!


Here is the recipe:

6 to 8 medium potatoes
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk

1. Peel potatoes
2. Thinly slice potatoes; measure 6 cups
3. Place half of the potatoes in a greased 2-quart casserole.  Add half the onion.
4. Sift half the flour over vegetables in casserole; sprinkle with half the salt and pepper.
5. Pour milk over all.
6-7. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours.  Uncover and continue baking 15 to 30 minutes longer or till potatoes are done.  Makes 6 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. Why didn't I get an invite for dinner. I could've made it in, oh say, 8 hours.

    ReplyDelete