Friday, September 9, 2011

Mmm...Mmm, Good!

With the starting of school always comes a change in the weather and with that a chance to make one of my favorite Fall foods: chili!  Chili has been a family favorite for years since my grandmother, Betty, began serving chili for Christmas Eve dinner.  I know, it's a little out of the ordinary but I guess that's part of what made our family unique.  Anyway, we used to make chili the old-fashioned way by cooking the beans ALL day with hamburger and tomatoes; like a bunch of chumps.  However, a few years ago my mom found an quick and easy chili recipe.  And it's from a Weight Watchers magazine!  So today, I share this recipe with those of you out there who are still doing things the hard way.  Enjoy!




First, brown a pound of hamburger.  You can use turkey burger, too.















Second, gather your beans, chili seasoning, crushed tomatoes and corn.  Open and dump entire contents of cans (juice and all) into a Dutch oven or crock pot along with chili seasoning and browned hamburger.

I realize this picture looks a little like an ad for Walmart but it's what we have and budget friendly.














Third, hire a small child to stir ingredients together and heat them through (we used a Dutch over; coincidentally this one belonged to my grandma).




















Next, gather your add-ons.  We like cornbread with honey (Kursteaz makes a really good one if you're not up for the homemade kind), Fritos and cheese.  It's also really good with a dollop of sour cream!









Finally, we like to layer our Fritos, chili and cheese!  YUM!


I hope you all enjoy this recipe.  It's not fancy or difficult but it's really good. It does, however, make a lot of chili so be sure to invite friends over or be prepared to eat it for three days (it freezes well, too).

1 comment:

  1. Yummm... I love that chili. How much did you pay for that child?

    ReplyDelete